Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New Mini

Options
Hello all my wife just gave me a new mini as a late Christmas gift /early Birthday gift to go with my large. So on to my question what should be my first cook be?
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Did you get any accessories to cook indirect? A turbo butt on the mini is pretty awesome. If no indirect piece, maybe do a small tri tip or a hot n fast filet. Congrats on the mini!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    We use the mini all the time during the week, but we keep it simple: steaks, burgers, chicken thighs and breasts and vegetables. Once in awhile I'll do a longer cook, like a pork loin. Cooked onions and peppers then grilled a steak last night and dosed it all in a fajita sauce. Fantastic. I think I cooked a steak for my first. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Turkey Legs. Direct. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Hamburgers or Beef Ribs. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    wait . . . the mini can go indirect?

Also, congrats on the new egg.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • wibrewer
    Options
    The real question is....why is it taking you a month to break it in?!
  • Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options
    NDG said:
    wait . . . the mini can go indirect?

Also, congrats on the new egg.

A Mini Woo from Tom and a set of pizza stones from Amazon. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Troglodyte
    Options
    The Mini now has a plate setter.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    bucket of wings are good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I am not a fan if the platesetter at all. For the money and convenience the Mini Woo and pizza stones work so much better and give so many other options. Wok holder and holder for the Lodge CI griddle. This is my opinion. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Troglodyte
    Options
    Platesetter is $35.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mickey
    Options
    Do a spatchcock chicken raised direct on Mini Woo. image

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have a CI grate that costs $35+ that I rarely use. Enjoy the PS and let us know how u set up indirects etc with it. Pics of course.
    Enjoy the mini I have the same pair of eggs.
    Seattle, WA
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I use my mini all the time.Its great for steaks when its only two people.I have the platesetter and love it,good for indirect chicken. ,
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You are going to love the mini. Skip the pate setter and get the woo. So many more uses.Do wings first. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    heres my indirect setup i used for the wings, tinfoil, and when my indirect setup gets messy i just toss it out and make a new one :D i did make a nicer one but this works fine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Options
    heres my indirect setup i used for the wings, tinfoil, and when my indirect setup gets messy i just toss it out and make a new one :D i did make a nicer one but this works fine

I can't believe it. Your just tossing $.27 cent's in the trash every third or forth cook  %-(

• eggingout1983
    Options
    Thanks everybody this has been very very helpful and i can't wait to fire this little guy up!!! i am blown away by what you guys can fit on the mini how do you do it?  What would be the maximum weight for a whole Chicken 4 pounds? and what about a pork butt ? .

after reading all of your comments i feel like a need a PlateSetter hummmmmm weekend shopping i guess. 

Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    For chicken, I seem to recall hearing 3.5 lbs is good. Admittedly I haven't cooked a whole bird on my Mini yet(except for a game hen). I have done a perfectly sized and shaped 5 lb butt on the Mini before. It was on a Woo. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143233/pork-butt-on-the-mini#latest

If your Mini has notches in the fire ring for a platesetter to sit in, you can fit a little larger butt.
    I'm also in the Woo camp as it gives you more options than the platesetter.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    Options
    3.5 is good spatchcocked direct and raised on the Mini Woo. You will use the Woo so much more than a PS and for many more ways.