Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard bacon

Options
I just applied the Rhulman cure to a 6lb butt for 9 days. It cured through. I also added maple syrup. I smoked with alder and maple.

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That looks incredible!  Hot smoke or cold?

This is coming shortly for me.  My son and I are breaking down and curing a pork belly later today, but I was blown away when I learned you could make bacon from a pork butt  - they are lots easier to get than Pork Bellies, and the fat/lean ratio should be healthier.  

Does it need to rest a few days before cooking or can you cook and eat it as soon as you slice?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    This is hot smoked to 140. It cooks up really nice. I'm sorry no pictures. I let it rest Friday night to mid day Saturday and also smoked this with alder and maple.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you have a cooked pic?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I don't. I'm sorry. I cAn tell you it cooks down by about 50%, the faces are bright red and rosey, and the edges turn near black. Very attractive on the plate.