Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a beef tenderloin tonight for family coming in

Options
I picked up a 2.6 pound beef tenderloin tonight to reverse sear.  I'm drawing a blank on knowing how long this will take at 225.  Any thoughts on time and temp for the low and slow?

Thanks all!
CC, TX
1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I've never had a whole lot of luck with low and slow with a beef tenderloin....not enough fat, so it dries out. I typically either cook raised direct or indirect around 350 until the internal temperature is somewhere in the 110-115° range. I then pull and sear direct until it's finished. I've had the best luck with that. I generally start indirect because most of the time we marinate beef tenderloins for flavor, and marinades tend to burn and produce a bad char flavor. Hope this helps.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • margareedaville
    margareedaville Posts: 68
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Mayberry - @350, how long would it take to get that 2.6 lb sucker up to 110?
    CC, TX
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    About 45 minutes, I'd say. My wife has a larger family, so we usually cook 4-5 lb tenderloins. Those generally take about an hour.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • margareedaville
    Options
    Great!  Thank you so much!
    CC, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

Go with @Mayberry's recommendation.  He is spot on.  When smoked at a lower temp, tenderloin tends to take up a lot of smoke flavor and I've had one end up tasting like an ash tray. 

If you want to add some theatrics to the cook for entertainment value do it Lomo al Trapo. Remember that the rag needs to be moist....

http://food52.com/recipes/18568-steven-raichlen-s-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-grilled-in-cloth-lomo-al-trapo

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• margareedaville
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    I've never had a whole lot of luck with low and slow with a beef tenderloin....not enough fat, so it dries out. I typically either cook raised direct or indirect around 350 until the internal temperature is somewhere in the 110-115° range. I then pull and sear direct until it's finished. I've had the best luck with that. I generally start indirect because most of the time we marinate beef tenderloins for flavor, and marinades tend to burn and produce a bad char flavor. Hope this helps.
    Mayberry - When it's ready to sear, is it okay to cut, then sear?  Some of us like it Pittsburgh style...
    CC, TX