Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe on Food TV For Brisket

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Paula Dean (I think) interviewed a guy in Texas who is famous for his smoked brisket. I remember some of the ingredients for his rub. As I recall all it consisted of was Dry Oregano, Dry Onion and Garlic ( I can't remember if it was powder,granulated, or flakes), Kosher salt, Pepper, and maybe Celery salt(?). And Im not sure if it was Oregano or Rosemary. Did anyone catch that show? Also, how long and at what temp did he smoke the meat (pr lb)?

Comments

• Dug
    Dug Posts: 14
    Options
    Jeff ,
    Texas Oven-Roasted Beef Brisket[p]2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    1 bay leaf, crushed
    4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
    1 1/2 cups beef stock
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.
    Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.
    Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.
    Yield: 10 servings

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Dug,
    No, that isn't the one. The one he is talking about had Oregano and no Chile Powder. I'll see if I can find that recipe or replay the show to write it down.

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Luckily I saw a repeat of the show. The recipe on the web is different than what they said on TV. Here is what I used: Oregano, garlic flakes, onion flakes, pepper, and brown sugar. Ground it up in a food processor and liberally spread it on the brisket. Results will be released this afternoon. Meal is at Noon West Coast time. Thanks for your input. Jeff