Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sriracha

Took a walk to the neighborhood Wal-Mart yesterday to stock up on Sriracha due to the possible impending shortage, looks like there has already been a run on it as it was sold out there and every other walking distance grocery store.  Dammit, gonna have to make my own now.
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2013
    I had no idea there was to be a shortage. Don't use it much anyway. I assume you're talking about the rooster stuff, which is what I saw when I looked up sriracha shortage. If you have an Asian market nearby, check out what they sell. Mine has a variety of brands from Thailand. I particularly like Shark Brand. Not quite as thick as rooster and comes in Mild or Strong. All I have found is mild, but that's fine with me. 

Did find a pic of the strong though. :) Good luck. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I picked a few cases just last week.  I like having that stuff around.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I haven't seen any places out I am gonna pick up some. Restaurant depot sells good sized bottles for like $3.50. They also make one with full sized pepper flakes in it that is good also.
  • They only produce a few months a year, after that the ingredients they use are out of season and no longer available.  Our retailers still have it in stock, the one with the green top.    
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2013
    I always thought Sriracha was a brand...I didn't realize it was a type of sauce and huy fong was just one manufacturer.  I learned something new today. Thanks Carolina Q! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I always thought Sriracha was a brand...I didn't realize it was a type of sauce and huy fong was just one manufacturer.  I learned something new today. Thanks Carolina Q! 

It's actually named for the Thai province of Si Racha

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    The whole story has raised such a buzz about Huy Fong that they could easily move the factory and restart production just about anywhere.
    I love the stuff, but a single large bottle lasts me so long I usually replace it due to color change, rather than running out… 
    @-)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Oh yeah, when the first frost was predicted this last fall I picked all the red jalapenos off my bush, threw them in the blender with white vinegar and salt (which was actually the ingredient list off a Tabasco bottle, not sriracha, 'cept with tabasco chiles) and bottled it.
    It was… hot, but not very good.  I don't have any oak casks to age it in, but next year I'll throw a box of toothpicks into the bottle and see what happens.  
    :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch said:

The whole story has raised such a buzz about Huy Fong that they could easily move the factory and restart production just about anywhere.

I love the stuff, but a single large bottle lasts me so long I usually replace it due to color change, rather than running out… 
    @-)
    I actually like it a little better after the color change... Mellows out the heat and intensifies the flavors. Taste even better on greasy burgers and pizza.
    Pentwater, MI
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Big government run amock.   Once again.  Keep your hands of my sauce
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    thetrim said:
    Big government run amock.   Once again.  Keep your hands of my sauce
    It's not the government. The citizens of Irwindale pushed the city to file a lawsuit. Something about headaches, sore throats, and burning eyes. 

They went directly to the company first but were rebuffed.

They even had to move a kid's birthday party indoors! The horror!

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Sriracha and the Sambal olek. Cant do without it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I thought that I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the issue had been resolved? Perhaps not.
  • Botch said:
    Oh yeah, when the first frost was predicted this last fall I picked all the red jalapenos off my bush, threw them in the blender with white vinegar and salt (which was actually the ingredient list off a Tabasco bottle, not sriracha, 'cept with tabasco chiles) and bottled it.
    It was… hot, but not very good.  I don't have any oak casks to age it in, but next year I'll throw a box of toothpicks into the bottle and see what happens.  
    :D
    I know someone who distills his own whiskey, and also does not have casks.  He drops chunks of toasted oak in the jugs and gets aged whiskey out of it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    maybe Wal-Mart only carries that brand, but check your local grocery store for other brands of it - maybe the Asian part of the store.
  • Franks is making a sriracha now. It's not bad little saltier and not as hot but not bad.

Steve 

Caledon, ON