Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Egg started smoking like a mofo when I threw the turkey on...normal?

jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I guess its from all the juice, hope its ok. Didn't do that last time.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
    still smoking after 45 min.  I am worried...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • if there is no drip pan it will smoke like that until you pull it off! I have done this with chicken before. no worries!
    Brandon, MS
    ok, thanks.  I guess its just more juice dripping than last time.  it is raised direct, it did it the same way last time but definitely didn't smoke this much.  you made me feel better about it.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,007
    No worries that is flavor clouds filling the air. All will be most excellent

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    I went indirect with a pan to catch the drippings.. We'll see. I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a Tennessee thanksgiving.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • laserdoc85laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    No issue. I cook chickens and turkey breast all the time with no drip pan. It smokes but that's what a smoker does. It always tastes great. Don't worry about it. Smoke clouds tells the hood I'm cooking. After awhile the smoke output drops anyway
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    henapple said:
    I went indirect with a pan to catch the drippings.. We'll see. I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a Tennessee thanksgiving.
    Just don't want it to taste too smokey, inlaws don't care for it.  I'm sure it will be fine.  Thanks and you have a great one to.  Go Vols :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,368

"Have a Tennessee thanksgiving."

I don't know what that means, but if that were directed at me my initial inclination would be to say "No thank you".

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

Foghorn said:

I don't know what that means, but if that were directed at me my initial inclination would be to say "No thank you".

It means have the greatest Thanksgiving ever, that's how I took it.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    We're thankful you're not here @Foghorn.. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,368
    jls9595 said:
    Foghorn said:

It means have the greatest Thanksgiving ever, that's how I took it.

Yeah, once I considered the source I figured he meant something like that.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

@henapple, you should be thankful I'm not there.  More food for you.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX