Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 Butt Help Needed

Options
I make pork butts on our BGE a lot and usually make a 'spare' to give away. So I'm in some people's will now. However, also got signed up for ten butts for Cub Scout campout. That would take at least three cooks on the Egg. A friend has a methane fueled refigerator sized cooker that he uses to smoke turkeys. Looks like we can easily fit all 10 butts in and smoke them at 275F or so with apple and or hickory.

Any advice to make the 10 butts more Egg-like in the big cooker would be appreciated. Maybe burn some lump in a pan, too? Folks are expecting Egglike.

Comments

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I have a propane cooker that I use for large amounts of meat. One trick I use is to put an aluminum half pan with apple cider vinegar and wood chips on on the heat deflector above the burner. I have also just used the chips in the pan without the ACV.
    Duncan, SC
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Since this almost went viral thought I'd follow up with results. We nailed ten bone-in pork butts, each in the 9 lb category from Rest. Depot at $1.29/lb. my friend's methane cooker fluctuated wildly with hickory chips and chunks burning and the wind butt as you all know pork butts are pretty forgiving. We turboed and did them in 8 hrs, including a short rest, pull, and into plastic bags to freeze and serve to 177 at next weekend's Cub Scout campout in the keys. All but two pulled nicely where ITs were generally in the 205F +/- a few degrees. Bear claws saved the day. It didn't hurt that it was college football rivalry day butt I'm awful glad we cook for fun and not for a living, it was hard work!
    image.jpg 1007.9K
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here they are coming out.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    And pulled. They're good but lack the depth of flavor you get on the Egg with charcoal. Butt, hey, we'd have needed an XXL with a CGE rig to do ten. . . . ten butts a-smoking, . . .
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Wow, that is a huge cook! Congrats on nailing it!

I did ten butts on my LBGE to help with a surprise birthday party last year. It was before I had my adjustable rig. Had to cook them two at a time. That was a long week! Everyone loved them so it was worth it in the end.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July