Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there a benefit to going lo and slow with lean meats?

Options
I know why you go lo and slow with butts and brisket.  My question is - is there a benefit or draw back for going low and slow with say a chicken or turkey breast (or perhaps pork loin/tenderloin)?  Would those be better done at higher temperatures? 
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Using a reverse sear (well at least the way I do it) the meat is cooked at 250-300º to an internal temp about 10º below the final temp, which is sort of a low and slow. To us, steaks, chops, loins,breasts (skinless+boneless) etc take on some smoke and allows the rub to work its magic before the crust is obtained through a sear. 
    Some folks like to just grill the meat at 400º right from the get go, it all works, depends on what you like. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like smoked chicken done low, (250ish). Haven't tried the others. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.