Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I was asked to smoke a turkey

Options

Help!  I was asked to smoke a turkey for the big day later this month.  I will be doing a practice turkey soon.  A couple questions...

Temp...higher (like 300-350) or lower (like 225-250)?

Ill use cherry wood.

Brine? 

Stuffing ok?  My mom thinks it is not safe to smoke a turkey with stuffing.  If I do stuff, I will probably cook at at least 300.

I don't want to spatchcock it as I want to present it whole.

Also, can I cook the day before and reheat the day of or is that a bad idea?  Id rather spend turkey day with my family at my parents where everyone will be rather than at my house all day smoking a turkey...having said that, my dad has an egg I could use but he has not cleaned it or even taken out the bottom grate in 6 years so I think it will likely function differently (I have a feeling his airflow is all plugged).  he wont let me do a clean burn. 

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Be careful with the wood smoke as poultry absorbs a lot of smoke and is easily over powered...look on the naked whiz site for Mad Max turkey...damn near impossible to screw up...... 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i still stuff oven birds but egged birds the stuffing gets an acrid biter taste unless you tie it in tight. i cook two smaller birds, one egged and one in the oven. i would use his egg and light it a day or two before and let it cruise at 450 for several hours, it will be clean enough then
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options

I don't stuff the bird but do toss some sliced apples and oranges in the cavity.  If not going to spatchcock then I would run around 325-350*F on the dome (indirect) wtih cherry wood (about 1-2 chunks max) for some eggcellent flavor and color.  Icing the breats for around 20 mins or so is great advice and cook with the legs to the back of the BGE.  Here's the mad max link FYI- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm .  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.