Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Fused' gasket?

Options
berndcrisp
berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Did a clean burn in the mini yesterday. I cannot open the dome and it appears as though the gasket(s) have fused together. I tried a stiff putty knife and hammer to no avail and quit before I had to use excessive force. Do you think that top loading hot lump will loosen it? These are the original gaskets.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hammer??? Never use a hammer on an egg! Your best bet is a putty knife and work it in and around until it frees up. BTW most likely your gasket is toast anyway.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Never had this myself, but have head of loading through the ash door and lighting a fire there to heat it up and getting it to release.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    So, would aluminum foil between the gaskets keep this from happening in a clean burn?
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Did you have the older gaskets (darker color)? They melt pretty easily. Call the mothership and they will send you a new set, unless you want the Rutland gasket from RRP.

If the gasket fused then you probably need a more than just a starter cubes worth of heat in there. Light up a chimney of lump and start dropping in pieces from the top or build a fire from the bottom intake. I don't know if the base will tolerate lump directly on it though.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Thank you all. I got it open with a very sharp knife. There were about 5 spots where grease or food glops glued it shut. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!