Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flounder - first try with pics

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Made a basic Cajun rub (below) found from cooks illustrated and made a Tartar Sauce (below) I found from a trout post that @griffin posted in the spring - thanks dude!  Earlier in the night I bloomed the spice rub in warm butter in a skillet and let it cool in the fridge.  Next I scored (cut thin slits) the flounder with the skin on, and rubbed the spice/butter mixture into slits in fish and all over both sides.    I went raised direct (rather than cast iron and oil) at 475F for about 2 mins per side. I suck at grilling fish - never know when it is done.  The middle ended up a little undercooked so we put that back in the oven for a few minutes while we ate the ends.  Also, I left a few small pin bones in the fish - ooopps - still learning, but overall turned out very nice.  

Horseradish and Tarragon Tartar Sauce

• 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1 to 3 tbsp of prepared horseradish, I’ll let you decide how spicy you want it
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
  • 2 tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped
  • 3 dashes of hot sauce (I prefer Frank’s, but feel free to sub in your own brand and adjust if you want more)
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
CAJUN RUB
  • 1/2 cup sweet paprika
  • tablespoons kosher salt
  • tablespoons garlic powder
  • tablespoon dried thyme
  • teaspoons ground celery seed
  • teaspoons ground black pepper
  • teaspoons cayenne pepper
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Beautiful looking plate. I'd attack that with gusto!

Glad you liked the tartar sauce. One thing I've learned is that you can't make it too far in advance. The red onions will end up turning the sauce pink if left too long. Noticed that one time when I went to use it for leftovers the next day. Still tasted fine if you don't mind the color. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sign me up. Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice! I'll take some please.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
     I'm always nervous about flipping thin fish that the non-skin side will stick to the grill.  Yours looks really good.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Thanks.  I just realized how ironic it is that my fish was slightly undercooked - yet I placed it on a plate that says "cooked to perfection" and posted it for the world to see! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”