Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Warranty Win! and a Disaster averted w/pics.

Options
JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
My LBGE base cracked and BGE had it replaced in 5 days. I sent photos to American Backyard who took over the space near North Point Mall in Alpharetta, GA. from Georgia Backyard who went out of business in 2009. Tony at American Backyard took all my information and photos of the crack last Monday, filed the paperwork and called me on Friday to pick up a new base. I was out of town this weekend so I picked it up yesterday and put it together today. 

So for the almost disaster, I was cooking a pork butt and some baby backs a couple weeks ago and about 4 hours into the cook I was sitting on the deck enjoying some adult beverages and the smoke from the egg and thought there was more smoke coming from the egg than should be, when I took a closer look I noticed the smoke was coming from the bottom of the egg so I looked under and saw ashes on the deck, got a little closer and the wood from my table was on fire. When I bought the egg and table in 2006 I had never been on the forum and didn't think about putting pavers under the egg I just put the egg on the feet and set it on the wood table. I had planned to put pavers under the egg after @centex almost disaster but had not got around to it yet. I never considered the egg cracking which is what caused the fire to start. After taking a closer look at the crack when I removed the egg from the table I see the crack goes from one side of the egg half way up all the way underneath and up the other side. The good news is I am going to redo the whole table and put a new top on it as it is pretty weathered. 

While I was putting the egg together I had to cook dinner so I did a beer can chicken on the Weber, it was edible but it definitely was not anywhere as good as a spatchcock on the egg. 

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That was indeed a close one. Good to know that nothing terrible happened since you caught it in time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    That's scary. Any idea what caused the crack? Had any extremely high temps prior to the crack? Glad BGE is taking care of you.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @caliking just glad I was't doing an overnight that would have been bad.
    @eggo, high heat is the only thing I can think of, I use the egg about 5 nights a week a lot of sears and 400 degree spatchcocks.

Johns Creek, Georgia