Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs W/O Smoke

Does anyone else prefer ribs without the smoke? ***taking cover*** I enjoy the BBQ taste, but the smoke is overwhelming for me. I like smoked pork, but just not ribs...
Aurora,OH

Comments

• SWMBO likes ribs without smoke she says that the smoke bothers her stomach 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    My take is similar to yours. I have definitely over smoked some ribs. At this point when I do ribs I don't usually add any wood to the lump, but if there is some left in there from a previous cook I don't go to the trouble of removing it...

I assume you are not talking about an extreme disdain for smoked ribs such that you would cook them on a gas grill...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• What kind of wood are you using? If using something like oak. hickory or mesquite then move to a lighter fruit wood like apple or cherry for a milder flavor. One chunk is plenty for ribs so don't over do it with any wood.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Yep, I like the flavor of lump, just not the fresh smoked wood. The last time I made ribs I used 3 small pieces of cherry & apple  and that's all I could taste.
    Aurora,OH
  • What kind of wood are you using? If using something like oak. hickory or mesquite then move to a lighter fruit wood like apple or cherry for a milder flavor. One chunk is plenty for ribs so don't over do it with any wood.

Maybe that's where I went wrong. I used one chuck of apple, with 3 chips of cherry.
    Aurora,OH

Maybe that's where I went wrong. I used one chuck of apple, with 3 chips of cherry.
    start with none, then add one and see what that does for you. Do apple one time and then cherry the next and see if you like either. If not, just do lump. I've had pretty good ribs from a gasser so life's too short not to eat what you like. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

What kind of wood are you using? If using something like oak. hickory or mesquite then move to a lighter fruit wood like apple or cherry for a milder flavor. One chunk is plenty for ribs so don't over do it with any wood.

I think you are on the right track- just cut back a little.  Perahps only go with a handful of chips and see how you like it.  One other suggestion is to make sure you wait for the thick white smoke to turn to clear or blueish before you add the ribs.  Even after there is no visible smoke you will still get flavor from the wood you add, but it will be much more subtle. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    I'm with you for most cooks. Ribs and chicken is just RO lump, neat so as to speak, no smoke wood. Same For steaks we like a few pieces of mesquite lump mixed in with the RO. 
    Pork loins and butts, apple chunks are preferred. SWMBO is a super taster, finds the smoke overwhelming sometimes. 
    Good rubs and sauces can make the meal quite acceptable. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's different with each lump. Some are stronger than others. What lump are you using? The next batch go with none as Ct suggested. Are you saucing them? Some are stronger... More smoke flavor.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I use RO for my lump and Sweet Bay Rays Honey for my sauce for the final hour. I add a little bit of maple syrup to make them a bit on the sticky side. My last batch I used Dizzy dust, but my normal rub is a mix of Lawrys season salt and Cajun spice.

Aurora,OH
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Rendezvous in Memphis - world famous ribs, cooks hot and fast with charcoal only - raised direct no less.  You don't have to commit to anything.. mix it up!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I'm also quite happy with the smoke flavor I get from RO straight on most cooks.

I do like some wood for butt.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon