Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome out of Alignment

Options
Hi All:

My Egg is about 3 weeks and was set-up by my dealer. After cooking pizza lat night it looks like the dome is now slid back toward the hinge about an 1/8" or more. Is this ok? I feel like it will expose part of the gasket to more heat. Is there a quick adjustment/fix or do I have to disassemble it and put it back together. I checked the nuts on the bands and they seemed ok. I suppose the hinge ones are meant to be a bit loose so it can open?

Thanks!

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    1/8"?? No worries. No dome and bottom piece is perfectly circular. If you are worried that much about the gasket get a Rutland.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    The dealer didn't tighten the bolts properly. The exact same thing happened to me. Mine got to be an underbite of nearly 1/2 inch after a few months. When you cook at such high temps, the steel bands expand and contract, so the bolts have to be tremendously tight to prevent movement. 1/8 inch is no problem at all. Most people probably dont have perfectly flush eggs; It won't impede function in the least. But you don't want it getting any larger, so grab a wrench, get back there and have at them. Doing that totally corrected my problem.
    Southern California
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I loosened the band bolt on the dome, put the dome and then the band back where I wanted them, then tightened up.  So far it has not moved again, and the gasket is tight all the way around.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY