Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession: I had to use a gas grill........

Options

We've been in a Denver for the last week for a family wedding.  Nine of us are staying in a 5-bedroom house in downtown Golden, CO.  We decided to stay in tonight, and as always, I was appointed the chef.

Bad news......they only have a gas grill.  How do I work this thing and what do I do?!?!?!

Long story short:  6 prime cut ribeyes, 6 bacon wrapped filets, ground sirloin burgers for the kids, elk brats for appetizers, plus grilled corn, Yukon Golds, beer basted onions, green onions, homegrown tomatoes, and roasted chili peppers all on a gas grill.

It turned out "ok" in my opinion.  Everyone is raving about it, but I know how much better it *COULD* have been on the BGE with my beloved charcoal.  Thankfully no one got pictures, but I had to confess my "sin" to you guys--what's my penance??  I'll be back BGE'n in 12 hrs from now.

BTW, shout out to the great folks in this town.  Very nice people, courteous, outgoing, and overly welcoming to my young children.  I stopped by Ruff's BBQ Store (BGE dealer) and got all the groceries this evening from Edwards Meats.  Hopefully we can get some Rockwood in these stores.  I would really like to have it out here because I know how well it would represented and embraced by this town.  Thanks to the people of the greater Denver metro area and Golden, CO.......it's been a blast!

Comments

• Rezegger
    Options
    We love visiting Golden and Colorado.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Smoke three pork butts and one brisket, my son, and all shall be forgiven.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You gotta make do with the tools on hand!  I made ribs in the oven and finished on a gasser while on vacation not long ago ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmyrnaGA
    Options
    You just got a good excuse to buy a mini or small GE (or Kub)!!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

Since it seems like this has become the confession thread....

I cooked on a gasser, a very thin-walled charcoal grill, and the big clock in the kitchen this weekend at a beach rental house. 

Although the wind was only moderate for the beach, it was enough that the gasser couldn't act as much more than a warming oven when turned up to maximum on both burners. 

However, with that beind said, the fresh blackened mahi (kitchen stove) and the venison fajitas (charcoal grill) that we made were as good as anything I have ever made on the egg.  A cast iron pan can make good food with any heat source if you use it right.  As someone mentioned in another thread, just make sure the exhaust fan is on when you use it indoors.

@JohnInCarolina, please be kind with my penance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Foghorn said:@JohnInCarolina, please be kind with my penance.
    I don't know, the idea that something can be cooked on the stove and come out as good as the BGE strikes me as blasphemy. I'm going to have to consult the BBQ Jesus to figure this one out.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Stike?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Steaks and burgers aren't on the fire enough to make much of a difference....I think the reason egged steaks taste so good over your average charcoal pit is because the culture of using only lump versus briquettes, and less flare-ups.   Low n slow and smoking, totally different story.
    Options
    Until mid July I always cooked on a gas grill. Since then I never even look at it. I am leaving for vacation and the only thing available is a gasser. Almost makes me sad
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I had to use a gas grill as well - to house my Lodge CI Hibachi, along with the side burner.  Great for searing or a quick burger cook.