Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not wrapping vs wrapping a brisket....

I have had a 13lbs brisket on for 12hrs at 235F dome temp and wanted some input weather to wrap the brisket or not to.

Comments

• I did one about that size yesterday. I ended up wrapping it. I wanted it to be tender and didn't want to take my chances with it.
    NW IOWA
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    I would wrap, I produce a better product when I do. With a pork butt it really doesn't matter, I feel w/ a Brisket it makes a world of difference.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I've done 9 or 10 full packer briskets over the last year and a half and have never wrapped.  I always do them at 225 grid.  My opinion is that if you pull the brisket at the exact right time, it will always be juicy and tender.  I start checking for "doneness" (probe goes in and out like butter) in the flat at 185 degrees.  I check it every 10 minutes after that in a differnt area of the flat until I get the probe in and out resistance I like.  I have reached the correct resistance as low as 192 and as high as 205.  1 or 2 degrees over or under the correct resistance will either make the brisket dry (over) or chewy (under).  Since I have started checking every 10 minutes after hitting 185, I have always had juicy and tender brisket. I don't think it is rocket science - just very close monitoring.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I have cooked about 40 or so full packer briskets in the last year. I have not wrapped one. I used to wrap to speed up cooking and to help tenderize the brisket but I noticed my bark would tend to soften and would easily rub off. I decided to quit wrapping until after the cook (I use butcher paper because I think it keeps the bark crispy) and I also decided to start smoking at 300* dome. Those two changes gave me a great bark and a quicker cook time. I target around 196* in the flat but check from about 190* on for tenderness, when the probe goes in like butter, it is done. I don't think there is one way that is best, many competition cooks wrap briskets and take home checks. I personally like the bark and color I get when I let it go unwrapped the whole time and the higher dome temp lets me get a brisket done in as little as 6 hours many days. If you wrap this one, try cooking at a higher temp and not wrapping next time to see which suits your taste and the amount of time you have to smoke it.