Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Question

Options
I have been through several gaskets and decided to put on a rutland. I followed instructions from naked whiz's site. It turned out great.......except it leaks smoke in two or three places. Is that just the way it is? Do I need to make an adjustment?
Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You need to adjust the bands.  It's not the gasket.
    Options
    Is there a chance that when you were "bunching" the gasket back into itself so as to make it both wider and thicker, that you may have stretched those spots? A close exam will reveal that. If not then there is a chance that the plane of your base was not perfectly flat, or the same problem exists with you dome. You can isolate the precise areas and then using a putty knife carefully work under the Rutland to loosen it and then squirt more Permatex under it so as to slightly build it up. Don't over do it though. Also if it is just a minor leak then in time the escaping gases filled with smoke and lump dust itself will actually impregnate your Rutland fibers, blocking the minute holes. The advantage is unlike a poorly fitted felt or even Nomex whereas those escaping heat and smoke will ruin those products but with Rutland it withstands 2,200 degrees.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Thanks @nolegghead and @RRP. I will check bands and the gasket for uneven spots. The gasket install went just the way the naked whiz said it would. That being said,I hope it is the bands.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @RRP, have I heard that you sell pre cut Rutland for the XL? I'M making like a sieve from burnt up stock gasket right now...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Hey @RRP, have I heard that you sell pre cut Rutland for the XL? I'M making like a sieve from burnt up stock gasket right now...

B_B
    RRP doesn't generally hang here. He's on the other forum. Message him there and he's really good at getting back to you quickly. That's what I did last week when I ruined my XL's gasket and RRP had a Rutland in my hands a couple of days later. Super guy!
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    B B - for an XL you need one continuous piece of Rutland that is 9 feet long when you apply it the way i suggest. Otherwise if you buy 2 kits from ACE or Amazon those are only 7 feet each so you end up throwing away 5 feet plus that money plus you will have 4 butt ends to deal with for the next 5, 10 or more years that the Rutland will last. Mine is still a pup at 9 years...how many gaskets have you gone through already?
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @RRP, I have the original factory gasket on my XL, which I purchased about a year ago, but that gasket is toast. I'd like to buy a new one from you if you are selling 9 footers. Can you DM me an email address?

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    DM sent, but I also posted my email address in another reply here tonight, but I don't really know this forum as for how to navigate to refer you back. OTOH I have to get to bed!