Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex steaks - How hot is my grill?

Options
I grilled some strip steaks on my Egg, decided to try the TRex method on Naked Whiz.  I cleaned out the firebox (saving all the charcoal), and started a fresh fire in a chimney using newspaper.  When the coals were fully engaged, I spread in the firebox, and poured charcoal on top to fill.  Closed the lid and let it go until it reached about 700 ( the sear temp according to the recipe).  I closed the damper a bit and added the daisy wheel top  wide open, and went inside to rub the steaks with oil and seasoning.  When I returned to the grill, it was reading about 200 F - had gone past 6:00 and was on the second lap!!!

I burped it, opened, and quickly got back to the 700 range, but was my grill really approaching 1000 deg?  If the scale is linear, it was beyond that.  I have calibrated the thermometer at 212, so it is at least accurate down there.

At any rate, no one was injured, the steaks came out great (only needed about 3-4 minutes per side after the rest), and the gasket looks fine.

Any thoughts?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• ORTHODAWG
    ORTHODAWG Posts: 18
    Options
    I sear with my dome temp around 400-450.  I use a woo2 set up for my XL.  This allows me to place a cast iron grate on the lower level (it is the size of a large egg grate) just above the coals.  Using an infrared thermometer, I wait until it gets about 700-800 grate temp and sear about 2-2.5 min per side.  While I let the steaks rest, it is easy to get the egg back down since I finish the steaks at about 375-400 which is close to what I was searing them at.  I finish them on a raised regular grate.  I find this way works best for me and I'm not fighting to get my temp back down.