Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Pork Butt

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
Hi I have done several over night butts that were fantastic. They were in the 7-8 lb size and I put them on at bedtime, enjoyed them the next day at 6pm. I have a smaller butt this time, only about 5 lbs. Do you think I could put it on at 10 or 11pm at 225 (I have an auber controller) and the timing work out ok for 6pm? Or, should I put it on in the morning at a higher temp?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    What time is bedtime? How long do you have to FTC to keep the 7-8lbers. until 6pm the next day?
    I think with a 5lber I'd just put it on in the morning so that it comes off the egg by 4pm or so. But, that all depends on what all you've got going on that day.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Actually, the 7-8 lbr's barely finished by 6. I put them on around 11pm. No FTC for them
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I just did a 5.8lb @250 and put it on at 8am, pulled it out at around 5pm at an internal temp of 200 and ate it about 6:30pm. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Actually, the 7-8 lbr's barely finished by 6. I put them on around 11pm. No FTC for them
    Well, I just noticed that you did them at 225* but, 18+ hours still sounds like a long time to me. I usually go 250-275*. Last time i did them (two 7 lbers.) they cooked in under 12 hours.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.