Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1/2 turbo butt?

tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
Intended to do a low and slow last night. Have two 6 lb. butts on, indirect w/ps legs up. Drip pan (empty). Put on at 10 last night 275 dome (just calibrated yesterday). Maverick at both the grid and in a butt. Maverick grid temp and dome temp have a steady 20 degree difference all cook. Temp must have got away from me during the night, because I just got up and the meat temp is already 184. That is 8 hours in. My previous experience on low and slow (250 ish dome) have been 15 hours or so. So with the dome around 275-300 all night, is there anything different I should do now? I'm assuming ride it out till it is done and FTC. By the way, I like to FTC around 200-205 meat temp.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I wouldn't change anything unless you're looking at an excessively long FTC (for me that would be over 6 hrs). In that event I'd consider lowering temps to slow it down.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Move the probe in the meat to another spot or check with thermopen... pockets of the butt will be hotter than other spots
    Kent Madison MS
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You might be in the middle of a four hour "stall period"?  As said above, unless you are strapped for time, just let the egg do it's thing.  All butts are different when cooking "low and slow", but become more standardized when turbo cooking them.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    First butt already off the egg. Only took 11 1/2 hours. Looked good, smelled good and the thermapen went in like butter. I tried to slow down the cook, but it wasn't enough. So now I'm looking at 8 hours before dinner. Will FTC for a few hours and then pull and put in the fridge.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA