Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter ???

I just fired up the new XL and I'm ready for some goodies. I have the new recommended thermometers ect ect but I'm confused on this plate setter business.. I need to know what's the best choice, BGE or aftermarket?? I'm wanting plate setter, pizza stone and anything else along these lines I may need eventually for playing , I mean cooking :) I'll spend more for quality stuff but I'm clueless,, Egghead Brothers help a fellow out here please...

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Aftermarket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    There are many ways to accomplish the same thing here --  all will cost you money!!  But all will get you basically the same results!  I recommend the BGE platesetter for indirect cooking, and i have a couple of different products to do the same thing..  I went the cheap way, with the raised grid, building a grid from Webber parts.  The stone sets atop the raised grid for my pizzas and works great.  Just have to gather enough items to do the whole thing !
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I can't speak directly to the XL but I have a plate setter for both my Large and my Medium.  And neither of them have been in either egg but a handful of times since I got the stuff from Ceramic Grill Store. Not that it isn't a functional piece of equipment, I can just accomplish more things quickly with the setups I've purchased from Tom.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    My platesetter was only used a handful of times as well , I wish I had known about CGS before I bought the platesetter