Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Temp Help Now

Options
I have been on the forum and time got away from me. SWMBO getting hungry and cranky.  I will cook on a preheated stone - How hot? My first attempt.  Thanks, Folks.. Hope I survive tonight otherwise I have a date with a Coors Light.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like 475-500°, platesetter legs down, spacers (I usually do 3-4") then the stone. Let it all come up to temp together. Mine looks like this, but a coupla bricks would work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    all depends on the dough. I cooked with a store bought fresh dough at my neighbor's last night and burned the first 2 at 500. Totally raw on top, scorched on the bottom. We figured it out but we cook ours at 600 and it never burns. I'd start at 500. it's a lot easier to go up than down

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Btw, it doesn't HAVE to be that high in the dome, that's just my preference. Also, leave the DFMT off so you can keep an eye on the pie. Control temp with bottom vent only. Just don't stick your head directly over the top vent. :) mine are usually done in 8-10 minutes. YMMV. Good luck.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have better luck with everything high up in the dome like Carolina_Q.
    Options
    Thanks, I will go with 5 hundy.  Will post pics if I am still alive. I owe you some beers.....
    Milton, GA.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    "SWMBO getting hungry and cranky."  Why do you get yourself under such extream pressure?  Before this type pressure begins, everyone here knows where the local restaurants are located.  One of the biggest issues is to have your egg stabilized so the pizza will see a high temperature furing a very short cooking time.  Pizzas cook in eight to twelve minutes.  If your egg isn't stabilized it will be in a 300 to 400 degree enviroment while the unstabilized egg trys to regain it's original temperature.  What can occur, is the top might cook, and the dough is soft and doughy!!   
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Update.. I guess that I live on the edge. I thought that I would look up some pizza recipes on the forum but got distracted reading all of the other stuff.  The egg was hot and ready but I wasn't sure of the temp.  I was going to go with 700 but backed it down to 500.  Everything came out great.  One white and one red. Everyone was very happy and I owe you guys.....
    Milton, GA.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cackalacky Q, I sure am glad you started hanging out over here.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cackalacky Q, I sure am glad you started hanging out over here.
    Man, that word's a new one on me. In the several years I lived there and all my visits since then, never once did I hear it! Had to look it up. Thanks... I think.  :)

Been here since day 1 (or maybe it was week 1). Anyway, since early on. Just never came here much.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut