Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Maverick temps?

Alright, I'm gonna be using my maverick et-72 this w/e and wanted to know if you only use it for indirect cooks? Obviously I wouldn't use it on pizza or searing steaks but what about direct raised cooks say at 400 deg or so with the cables wrapped in foil,is this ok? What's your temp limits on this thermometer I doubt it's the 700 deg temp suggested in the manual right?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,700
    Have two and never use. I don't cook anything over 5 hours and do not see the need for hook ups. I use the hell out of my Thermapen.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,385
    You could but you don't want the wires exposed to direct heat.  Wrapping them in foil isn't going to help much if that foil is directly exposed to the fire.  I'd take a strip of foil and weave it into the grill grate to shield the wires.  Most people wrap them to help keep moisture from getting in the wire - it doesn't do much to insulate them (think about the texas crutch - stuff cooks faster wrapped in foil).

Wrap one probe end in foil and put it on direct.  Put the other unwrapped next to it.  Measure the temp over 15 minutes or so.  They're both gonna be way over the dome temp.

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,590
    Ok thanks for the info,guess I should have held off on that purchase seeing how turbo seems to be more popular these days.Gonna try low and slow for sure and compare the tastes so I'll need it then.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).