Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken in the Egg

My second time using the Egg.  I love chicken so I wanted to try it.  It was a whole chicken, a little under 6 pounds.  I used a simple brine of water, kosher salt and sugar.  I brined it for about 14 hours.  Then I took the chicken out, washed it with water, squirted a lime onto it (didn't affect the flavor but I read someplace that lemon or lime can take care of in case some bacteria developed -- not sure if this is true but I had a lime going bad so I used it).  Then I rubbed on a liberal amount of salt and pepper (my favorite seasonings for chicken).

The Egg got to 600+ degrees quickly (I was doing yard work so did not pay attention).  I was able to get it down to about 275 by closing the vents. Reducin the temperate helped when I tossed in the mesquite chunks I'd been soaking in water for about an hour.  The chicken was in at 275 for about 4 hours, and I took it out when the internal temperature got to 166.  I wrapped it in foil for about an hour.

Here's the chicken right before I wrapped it in foil:

[img]http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd510/n2wdw/dd641e50-2919-462b-9f98-58de02fcd7ab_zpse6d16f86.jpg[/img]

Comments

• n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    another try at posting a picture of the chicken.  I didn't know what to expect from this chicken on the egg, since my wife and I are really good at making moist chicken in the over.  But this chicken blew me away.  It was the BEST chicken I have ever had!  The skin was crispy, and the chicken was incredibly tender and flavorful.  When I do this again I'll scale back on the smoke, I put about 8 chunks of mesquite.  It was not over smoked -- the chicken was delicious - but I think I like it a little less smoke.

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I bet that was as good as it looks!
  • n2wdw

GaryLange said:
    I bet that was as good as it looks!
    It really was!  It was so moist.  When I cut into it alot of juice came out.  I'm so psych right now about the egg!
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Great looking cook!  Chicken on the bone is one of my favorites.  I have found that sweet fruit woods (apple, cherry) work best with chicken.  Some woods (hickory) make the chicken too busy with flavor and not in a good way.  Do a search on here for Spatchock.  A fun way to do chicken by cutting out the back bone.  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Spatch it, do it at 350 direct and it'll be an hour long cook, and every bit as moist even without brining. Chicken comes put so moist it almost seems underdone... I did my last one to 160, took it to 500 and rant it at 500 for a few minutes to crisp the skin up and it was finger lickin' good...
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Looks great. Congratulations. You are in store for a lot more great meals. Pics means it did happen. :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • n2wdw
    Spatchock is something I plan to do.  I actually do this under a brick (chicken under a brick) on my webber gas grill, and I'm looking forward to doing it on the Egg.
  • no need to soak chunks or chips. 8 chunks of mesquite is a TON of smoke for even a brisket or something. As mentiond above-apple or cherry are great for poultry and a single small chunk is more than enough for a chicken. The spatch method (again, as mentioned above) is a great way to do yard bird.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    That chick looks good....perfectly browned.  I now always do spatchcock, a little harder on the prep, but very consistent, good cook results, very moist.  Just as a recommendation, try to open the lid as little as possible, retaining the moisture in the egg.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I'll agree with the others about using a fruit wood (and no more than a chunk or two) as opposed to the mesquite for chicken. The spatchcock method works well but, looks like you're having good success with doing them your way!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.  I'm eating the chicken for breakfast and it tastes just as good (even though I heated it in the microwave).  Definitely has alot of smoke.  I used chunks this time because the chips burned up fast last week with the ribs, and I couldn't taste the smoke (so that's why I used alot this time).  But I see now you have to go less with the smoke.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Chicken in the morning...what a great idea...
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    "I love the smell of chicken in the morning.............It smells of......Victory.....uuhhh Breakfast!"
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks beautiful.  Nice job!  Did you just set it right on the grid or did you use any kind of roasting rack.  Did you find that the skin was a little less crispy after wrapping in foil?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.