Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's finally here

Options
The xl has landed! It is a happy day at my house. Got the xl home on Friday and assembled it Friday night. Have been playing with fire management and so far from what I can tell this is going to be the challenging part of learning to work this thing.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    If you have the patience to practice before cooking --  you are on the right track!!  Notice how fast the temperature can increase and how slow it decreases!!  Try to change temperatures and "stabilize" at that new temperature --- in both increases and decreases!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You won't have any problems... Great weekend, uh?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options

I have found in my limited time, make single, small changes at a time.  Then be patient for a few minutes to see where the temp settles.  I have a bad tendency to be impatient and constantly tweaking the vent openings.

Also, don't get married to an exact temp.  Your cook can't tell the difference in 5-10 degrees.  Just get it settled close. 

But by all means, throw some food on that bad boy.  Why waste all of that great smoky heat.  Welcome aboard.

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    I thought the learning curve was going to be big but am surprised at how easy to work with temp. Have had my xl for a couple of months. LOVE IT!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN