Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My weekend cooks.

YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
Had a great holiday weekend around the house. Nothing but Egging, grilling, yard work, and drinking/relaxing.
Smoked my first brisket. Tasted amazing. Beer brats, and some chicken kabobs to finish off the weekend.
I'm up for criticism. Other than the brisket not looking like a meteor, what else do I need to improve on?
Life is good! Especially at the end of the day when I can grab a beer and take in my beautiful 11yr old daughter enjoying hanging with dad!
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• YEMTrey
    One note on the brisket.  I didn't add any smoking wood.  It was just straight Wicked Good lump.
    Steve 

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Looks really juicy from the pic. How was the flavor with just the lump? What is the technique you used on on the weenies? Are they in a hot tub?
  • YEMTrey
    edited May 2013
    The flavor on the Brisket was amazing.  Freshly crushed black pepper, very little salt, and some Butt Rub is what I seasoned it with.  IMO, the little bit of fat cap that I left on the brisket really added to the flavor and moistness of it.  I had done some reading and research and wasn't sure what to do.  So I started it with the fat cap up, then about half way in, I flipped it over to fat cap down.  With this being my first brisket cook, I really paid attention to where the plate setter legs were, where my hot spot(s) were during the cook and moved the brisket a couple of times to eliminate any harm from it.  I also documented every half hour what the meat and grid temp was to get an idea of what was going on.  This brisket hit the stall at around 180 or so.  I started to probe it once it got to around 190.  Some of the thinner parts it went in like butter, but the thicker parts needed more time.  I kept it on till I could probe the entire brisket easily with no resistance.  That was closer to 205 on my meter. I FTC'd it for about an hour and 15 minutes.  Was still very hot to the touch after that.  Got to use my new knife and sliced it against the grain.  Gave it the pull test and it pulled perfectly.
    Really was an eye opening cook.
    I wanted to have a good baseline cook to judge my next brisket from so I took a lot of the variables out on this one.  I plan on doing the next one with some Oak chunks for smoke.

I did hot tub the sausages.  I put them on directly, to get some crisp and char on them.  Then soaked them in a hot tub pan of beer (GL Alchemy Hour DIPA), some garlic powder, and some Butt Rub.  Let them go for awhile, til I notice most of the beer being cooked away.  Then I'll throw them back on direct, high heat to crisp them up a bit more.
    Steve