Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about brisket cook using "crutch" method

Options
I am starting a brisket cook tonight, trying the crutch method for the first time (http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html)
I have made several briskets before, but never tried this - looks good.
This method requires pulling the meat at 150F, then wrapping it in foil with liquid before putting back on the egg for the rest of the cook. 

My question is about timing.  How long will it take the brisket (16# packer) to reach 150F?  I am guessing 3-4 hours at 225F. Can I back down the cook temp to 215F or 210F & extend that time without messing up the meat?  I am trying to plan the timing so I start the cook, go to bed, wake up when at/near the 150F point, apply "crutch method", go to church, come home & the meat be close to being finished with the cook portion of the process.

I know - timing is never easy, and brisket is done when it is done - not at a time or temp.  But, I want to try to get this timing as close as I can reasonably expect.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    FWIW- and since you ask-I would expect your brisket to take several (5-7 at a min) hours to reach 150.  I doubt your would need to throttle down your temp to get there-(above based on around 260+/- on a calibrated  dome thermo).  I would suggest that you would be better served here if you mentioned when you want to eat and then work backwards...FTC (foil, towel, cooler) can buy you a whole lot of slack-time to hit the finish-line.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wimbo1029
    Wimbo1029 Posts: 15
    Options
    thanks for the reply, lousubcap. The "crutch" method shortens the overall cook time, so that kinda throws out the traditional "when to eat & count backwards" method. 150F should be in the "stall" temp range, so I don't think it takes that long to get there... maybe I am way off in my thinking?