Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Roast - Temp coming down too slow?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

Trying the Mad Max Prime Rib Roast.

Got my egg to 500 degrees and put a 5-lb boneless rib eye roast in and then made the vents into slits.  The dome temperature is taking an awfully long time to come down to 325 degrees.  It's been an hour and the temp is still around 400 degrees and my roast internal is 90 degrees (from a start of 46 degrees).  Is this normal?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    This is the downside to such an efficient cooker. The ceramic holds heat for a while.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Where are your vents at? The upside is more beverage tine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • eggheadmd
    eggheadmd Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    The top vents are about a quarter open and the bottom vent is a slit (width of a US quarter).

The temp is about 375 now (after 2.5 hours) and the roast is at 115 degrees.

I always thought that the mad max way of doing it was to get it to 500 degrees and then at some point, it'll come to 325 to slow cook up to 125 internal temp.  It seems by the time my roast hits 125 internal, the egg will still be above 325... 

I just don't want the meat to be dry and tough.  Maybe I should have reverse seared?  I guess I'll find out soon enough!