Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brown sugar and coffee spiced codfish

Mickey recently gave me this rub which he pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In FL and then tweaked:

Equal part: Instant Espresso Ground Coffee
(I use fresh ground Espresso)
Equal part: Brown Sugar
1/2 part: Black Pepper
1/2 part: Kosher Salt
1/2 part: Garlic Powder
3/4 part: Ancho Chili Powder

He said it was good on turkey, chicken (it was), beef & pork; but what about fish?  So here it is on a pair of 1/2 pound each nearly one-inch thick cod fillets ready for the large BGE:

I rarely cook fish by temperature, but I stuck a cooking probe in length wise and put the fillets on an elevated rig with the BGE at 400.  When the internal temperature reached 105, I carefully turned the almost flaking fillets and kept them on until they reached 145.  They were really great with a slightly sweet, slightly coffee spiced flavor - almost like sweet blackened fish but cooked on a grill!  I think this would work with any somewhat oily fish, e.g., sea bass and catfish (although I NEVER eat catfish  :laugh: ):

·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,252
    i did it on some salmon a while back for some fish tacos.  it was awesome the earthiness of the coffee goes great with certain fish in the right setting.  
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Boy, your pics look tasty...gonna have to try, and on chicken..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,044
    Knock 'em out John. Would have never used on fish.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Nice...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·