Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP torch question

Options
How long do those little yellow bottles usually last? Do you light only the middle or a few little spots? How long do you usually hold it in one spot?

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I'm using propane in the same type bottle. Usually I hold it in the same spot about 15- 30, for a few spots, but I will tell you that IME different lump needs more or less heat to get going. 
    RO is quicker for me to light than WGWW, or Stubbs lump. I can't tell you how long a bottle will last, cause I also use it for camping lanterns. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The last time i bought a replacement I got the fat bottle. That was a couple of years ago and I'm still on it. I light in a few spots for a total of about 45 seconds. I try and light underneath some smallish pieces. Wear safety glasses!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I use a Bernzomatic weed burner w. MAPPro. Usually I light 3 spots at 2,6,&10. 10 seconds each spot, and a few seconds more  on each. W. propane, it takes more like 20 - 30 seconds per spot. Sometimes, if I want a hot fire really fast, I will just circle the rim of the fire box till its lit all the way around.

I may have gone thru a tank of MAP in as little as 6 mo.s a few times, but the average is more like 9 mo.s
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I light at 10, 2 and 6 for 350*+ cooks and I keep the MAP torch on each spot for 30 seconds. I light in the front middle for a low and slow. I use it at least twice a week, sometimes as many as four times, mostly for 350*+ cooks. I usually go through a bottle in six months. 

+1 on the goggles! 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Mine is over a year old and still gong strong.  I bought spare tanks but will be a while before I will need them.

Garnerville, NY
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    What's the deal with the safety glasses/goggles?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Options
    What's the deal with the safety glasses/goggles?
    protect your eyes in case the wood pops, or sparks and sends embers flyin.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    10-4 Thanks for the info fellas I'm surprised at how long those bottles last, that's a serious flame it throws off.