Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg setup help

I just added a second egg to my arsenal, a small egg for traveling/camping.  I have not used it yet and I see it does not have a high temp gasket.  Would it be easier to change the original out right away before it melts or is used.  90% of the time I think I will use it to make steaks at 700+ degrees if the small can get that hot, I can get my large that hot we'll see how the small works.  Any other suggestions for setting up the small would be appreciated. Hopefully I made the right choice to go with another egg instead of something like a WeberQ.  After having steaks on the egg at home I can't imagine going back to gas, even with the inconvenience of traveling with something heavy like a BGE.

Thanks Sazegg.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Small Egg is awesome. Will easily and quickly get to 700. I have been Egging without a gasket on both my Eggs for quite some time so can't help you there. Have fun with it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would change it out while it's clean and not chared..  About 90 percent of the labor involved in changing gaskets is cleaning the gasket surface.  Did you get the felt gasket or this new one that still burns up ??
  • sazegg
    sazegg Posts: 1
    I believe it is the felt one, it is dark gray in color, and it seams to not even be stuck on very good. It is coming up at the seem already before being used.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would go ahead and remove the old one before cooking on it. Especially if you want it to be your "hot" egg.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I wouldn't worry about your gasket, the one on my small was fine for a few months with lots of pizza cooks. I think a high-que fire grate is a good buy to keep the air moving through the egg. I love the Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store and have not cooked without it in my small egg. I also use a eggCarten to travel with and it makes it much easier. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.