Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Cooks, How Often?

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
How often do you guys cook butts and briskets? I almost always reserve butts for parties, cooking maybe twice a year (can't serve the same thing each time). I do briskets just twice a year, too. Just can't eat that fatty meat too often. Now ribs ... that's another story. Probably once a month. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    In the spring/summer/fall I do at least one a month.   Generally I do butt just because the butchers are too proud of briskets up here.....over $5 a lb for a brisket is just too much considering it's a lousy cut. My $.02
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm try to go 1/month for butts and sometimes ribs. Brisket 2-3 times in the summer. Maybe if I can get packers I'd do more.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do turkeys about 4 a year and butts about the same. Never done a brisket on egg ( live in Texas, go figure).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    We probably do a butt once every two weeks -- it can be served in different ways to make a meal very different.  Brisket -- maybe once a month because i don't think it is near as good as pork butt!  I probably do four or five big cooks, for groups each year -- 30 to 75 peole, sometimes more, and i usually do butts as it is requested regularly....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Ribs are about once a month.  Pork butt is once a month during football season, probably every other month in the off season. Only done brisket 4 or 5 times including today's attempt. Biggest cooks of the year are for my buddy's daughter's birthday in April which is typically 55-75 people, then 4th of July, then Super Bowl.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Brisket (flats only...) about every 4-6 weeks.  Butts around the same frequency.  Pulled beef every 6-8 weeks.  Off weeks, ribs or chix and the occasional salmon.  And my cholesterol is just fine-moderated by the supervisory adult beverages for sure. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.