Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Issues (My grandfather not me)

So my grandfather and I just completed 10lbs each of bacon.  Mine turned out excellent but his is WAAAYYYYY too salty!!!  He has already smoked and sliced it.  Is there anyway to get rid of the salty taste now?  If not it is 10lbs of bacon to feed to the dog.
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    If it's that salty, I wouldn't do that to my dogs...

Not sure about de-salting it
  • You can can still blanch it real fast in boiling water. maybe 30 seconds. It will change the texture a bit but is still awesome. Always sample a piece (unsmoked) before slicing! He's good though (ask me how I know) :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • try 1 slice first for 30 seconds. Then fry it up and see how it tastes. tweak the time as needed then you can do it all together. it won't take long but it helps a ton. I blanch all mine pre-smoke. works like a champ.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited March 2013
    I tried to get him to do it the way I was doing it but he had his own method.  It has been a while since he has done it so I am sure he was a bit rusty.  I enjoyed the process with him and can't wait to make more.  I love hearing the stories of when he was a kid growing up and when they slaughtered their animals to provide for their family.  It is really neat listening to him talk about how things were when he was young.

The Cen-Tex Smoker  I will let him know about the blanch.  So boiling water for around 30 seconds?  Does he need to shock it after or just pull it and put it on paper?
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    We must have posted at the same time.
    Anderson, SC

• I don't shock mine but it couldn't hurt. 

love the story about doing with your grandfather. Cool!

• even hot water works great. I did boiling but I would just get it very hot on the stove and throw 2 pieces in. Leave one piece in there for 15 seconds and the other for 30 and see which one comes out better. You will never know how long 30 seconds can be until you see your prized bacon that you worked for a week on floating in boiling water! feels like an eternity. 
  • r270ba
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  thanks a lot.  It has been really fun talking to him on almost a daily basis.  We have always been close.  He is the sole reason that I had killed over 100 deer by the time I graduated high school.  We have spent countless hours enjoying each other.  His stories have inspired me to learn a little more about being self sufficient when it comes to providing for my family.
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Oh and I just talked with him and he said to "tell whoever it is on your internet thingy thanks".   =))
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  thanks a lot.  It has been really fun talking to him on almost a daily basis.  We have always been close.  He is the sole reason that I had killed over 100 deer by the time I graduated high school.  We have spent countless hours enjoying each other.  His stories have inspired me to learn a little more about being self sufficient when it comes to providing for my family.
    awesome dude. really cool.