Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Igrill ambient temp?

Options
I just bought the Igrill for my iphone and it comes with two probes for the meat. Can the second probe be used for the ambient temp of the dome?

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I don't see why not. I have the same device. Never used for that but I don't think you'd have a issue
    Boom
  • Owossoegger
    Options
    Yup.  thats what the second probe is for.  works great too!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    yup.  Typically people attach them to the grill grate where the food is.  You don't want to use it when you're cooking direct - those probes won't last long over 400 or so F.  They're for indirect use - roasting, smoking, baking.  For grilling, rely on your dome thermo.  Calibrate it with boiling water.
    Options
    I have an igrill and I like to take the dome thermo out and stick a probe through the hole from the outside of the egg.  Then I can easily see the temp in my house on my ipad.  Probes cut out at just over 400 though FYI.  No issues if using for low and slow.