Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Changes to Large BGE?

Options
I have heard, but not seen, that the new fire ring for the Large has 3 notches in it instead of the 5 dimples. I ask because my current fire ring is cracked and I need to know if there is any advantage to the new ring?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Options

I had to buy a different spider for this new one. Can't see much other than that.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I think the difference is the notches will line up with the plate setter, dropping the legs down setter farther into the base, provided you line the legs up with the notches of course. I have a medium with the five dimples rather than notches and my fire ring must go in dimples up - so who other than BGE knows.....?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fannin
    fannin Posts: 18
    Options
    My Large was built 12/2012 and the fire ring has 3 notches.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

I think the difference is the notches will line up with the plate setter, dropping the legs down setter farther into the base, provided you line the legs up with the notches of course. I have a medium with the five dimples rather than notches and my fire ring must go in dimples up - so who other than BGE knows.....?

This makes sense. If it dropped a tad it wouldn't throw so much direct heat on the gasket, BGE thinking they can save a gasket or two

XLBGE