Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for a 7 lb flat brisket using Travis' method?

Options
I was going to try Travis' method today for a 7 lb brisket flat. How long should I expect it to take? I have read that for 10-13 lb packers it is around 6-8 hours. I was thinking my brisket might take around 4 hours or so. Does anyone have experience with this? I know every brisket is different but just wanted to find out what other have experienced.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I tried Travis' method once a while ago and recall that with a flat about the same size as yours it took around an hour a lb.  But it was a while ago and I have not done one that way since-I would estimate for the 1 hr/# as you can always FTC (foil, towels and cooler) for 4-5 hours if finished early.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Pacuare
    Options
    Thanks for the opinion. Usually they are worth something on here but not always a home ;) I just put the brisket on the egg and have right at seven hours until we typically eat. Hopefully it won't take any longer than an hour per lb.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Since all hunks of beef (and pork) behave as they wish, if you are getting close to the finish-line time-wise you could foil the flat with some of your braising liquid and power it home.  I don't think that is a step in the Travis process but it is an option.  The flat (and all briskets for that matter) are finished when you probe the thickest part of the flat and it goes in and out like butter.  Slice against the grain when ready to eat and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CeramicChef
    Options
    The best and only way to tell is to use an electronic temp probe to know when you're at 195*-205*F. Rules of thumb are only good for very broad estimates as every hunk of meat is different. Remember that on brisket, butts, etc. that the amount of connective tissue will affect cooking duration. The more connective tissue, fat, etc. the longer the meat will stay in the stall and thus the longer the cook. Also remember the thinner the flat the faster it will cook, all other things being equal. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cook and enjoy the eating with family and friends even more!