Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing - what do I need?

I have read various posts regarding searing. Some talk about searing down by the fire (using a Spider or grill grate that fits down there) and others that don't specify. Can I assume that I can sear with a CI grid ontop of the fire ring at a very high temp (600-650) and then pull them off, lower the temp and put them back on the same grid for the roasting? Or do I need to modify the setup and use something near the lump and raise it up for the roasting? As always...thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2013
    You got the idea.  Sear at high temp on the grate, remove meat and lower temp then replace meat to finish. The other toys just get you closer to the fire and eggcellerate the time.
    Sometimes with a steak 1-2 inch or so thick, I will sear, shut the top and bottom down and just let the meat cook to my desired temp.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works it comes with a carbon steel grate and I use that at stock level for searing, it does a great job. 

I could use the top tier to get down lower if I wanted but don't feel like I need to. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Reverse sear is all I do now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use a CGS Spider and a 13" CI grate for my large.  Works great!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    If you like the charred crust of a Chicago style sear, sear with a CI grid on the fire ring or right on the coals. Two methods that I know, very high heat, quick sear and then lower temp to finish, or 475-550 temp and sear, flip and sear, flip for diamonds, flip for diamonds - maybe on a 1-1/2" steak this takes from 6 to 8 minutes. 
    The other is reverse sear, cook indirect at 250-325 until internal is 5-10 below target, pull, cover, rest and change set-up to direct with high heat and finish sear. Usually less char, but more rub/meat flavor, IMHO.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    BOWHUNR said:

I use a CGS Spider and a 13" CI grate for my large.  Works great!

Mike

Same. Great setup.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Thanks for the replies...great information. @bowhunr and @chubbs after the sear do you lower the temp and finish it higher up in the egg or at the same level?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you are going to do high heat first them shut it down be careful when you open it you will get a flashback. I recommend a hot tub. Season the steak then either food saver it or put it in a zip lock bag and suck the air out. Put it in a water bath at about 110 degrees for at least 30 minutes try to get closer to an hour. You will need to add water several times to maintain temp and then all you do is sear it a couple minutes tops each side and its done.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    The first toy I purchased after getting my egg was the spider with a CI grate. It is a great setup because you can sear without having to raise the temperature too high so you don't have to pause after searing. You sear on the CI grate close to the lump and then continue to cook to temp on the regular grate all this at about 450F.

If I had to make the purchase over again, I would still get the spider for wok cooking but I would not get the CI grate. I now sear directly on the coals and finish on the regular grate.

tdub4 said:

Thanks for the replies...great information.

@bowhunr and @chubbs after the sear do you lower the temp and finish it higher up in the egg or at the same level?

You can do either. Sometimes I will throw my regular grate on the fire ring after the seat to finish them. Depends on the cut. Skirt steak for fajitas, I just sear down low on both sides then pull and rest. Hits temp quickly because of how thin. Thick ribeyes get the sear then move to top. Can't go wrong either way. Just okay around and have fun.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    tdub4 said:
    Thanks for the replies...great information. @bowhunr and @chubbs after the sear do you lower the temp and finish it higher up in the egg or at the same level?
    After I sear them on the spider I cool the egg down, install my Woo with the stock grid and finish them at 400* at the gasket level.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I throw this on my turkey fryer and sear, then put steak in the egg already at proper dome temperature.  But I'm impatient and don't feel like searing in Egg and then waiting for it to drop to temperature.