Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for 1st cook

Options
A good friend of mine just got a xl egg for Xmas being delivered on Wednesday he also ordered plate setter , and pizza stone and 3 bags of wicked good. He wants me to break him in on the 1st cook. I've been cookin on my large for about 2 yrs so I've cook a lot of different things. There's going to be about 10 people, I was gonna start with about 30 indirect wings, then sauce them half hot half garlic parm, then direct 600 degrees do 2 1/2" porterhouse steaks , and a couple of 3" bone in pork chops. Any other suggestions for 1st cook?

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I think a butt makes a great first cook.  It's very forgiving, is good for learning temp control, and I believe that the fat content helps season the Egg.  

I didn't cook anything but Butts for my first few cooks, and I still have my original gasket after 6 years.  I do mostly do low temp cooks, but I do my share of high temp steaks and chops as well.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Abts are always a great app. Chicken quarters or spatchcocked.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I've done several pork butts probably my favorite cooks but I want to mix it up a little you can't beat a high temp cook for beef an pork. I kiwd my gasket on some good pizza cooks but my friend made me a stainless steel band with a hiq gasket on it that wraps around my egg and seals it tight for low an slow cooks keeps it at 250 easierimage
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Rack of lamb is one of my favorites. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Done both love ABT's I also do cherry peppers with a slice of garlic a then stuff them with loose sausage