Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin

Options
If you perform the reverse sear technique (never tried it) at what internal meat temp do you start the process? Do not want overlook as I figured it will cook another 5-10 degrees during sittimg stage. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    The rest cook temp increase is between 5-10 degrees, my experience with beef tenderloin is more to the 5 degree side, it is just smaller than a sirloin or rump roast, so it cooks less.
    The idea, IMHO, of reverse sear is to cook at <250 to bring the roast to final temp -5. Fire the egg to hot - give it about 10-15 minutes, then return the tenderloin. Not much fat so there will be little flare. You don't cook with the sear, you just color, total time is <5 minutes. 
    A paste rub that has been slow cooked at <250 for an hour or so will be slightly crusty, the sear will finish it nicely, if that's what you want. Sometimes SWMBO makes an excellent hunters gravy, I just take to final, rest, serve - no sear as it will be served with a sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!