Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Merry Christmas! Christmas Turkey Cook -- (Pic Heavy)

I hope that everyone who celebrates has had a very Merry Christmas and that all, regardless of background, have found this holiday season to be filled with joy and peace.  We had a great day and I wanted to share with you all the turkey that we did on the Egg.  The recipe is Mad Max's and can be found (among other places) at the Naked Whiz.  (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm.)

We start the day with a turkey stock that will simmer all day and comes in most importantly for the gravy.  Turns out I made way too much, so it will be the liquid that I use to make leftover stock (which gets used in leftover turkey risotto).
The turkey gets stuffed with herbs (rosemary, sage, tarragon), salt, pepper, a quartered apple, and a quartered lemon.

image20 minutes prior to putting the turkey on the Egg, Max suggests putting a gallon bag of ice on the breast.  I was skeptical, but it produced a breast that was cooked through, yet totally moist, at the same time the thighs were done.  

imageImmediately prior to putting the turkey on the Egg, I rubbed it down with a compound butter made the night before with the same herbs.  Then, pour half a bottle of a dry white wine over the bird.  Reserve half for the gravy.  

imageThe turkey then goes on the Egg at 325, indirect on a grate in a roasting pan.  Next time, I'll use something other than a tin pan.  The tin pan didn't produce good browned bits and thus our gravy was a little suspect.

With the bird on the Egg, the cook begins to drink and makes the cranberry sauce.  

imageThe space crew grows restless.

The bird is done!  12 pounds, took approximately 4 hours to get to 165 in the thigh.  

imageMerry Christmas to all -- I've done a lot of fun stuff this year, but sharing experiences and learning from all of you is pretty high on the list.  Best wishes for a happy new year.

Scott

Comments