Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing rib roast on a mini?

Options
anyone ever tried this.... I didn't have much luck with finding an answer with google. I'm thinking about trying a 7lb standing rib roast on a mini i'm giving my father for xmas. I have the mini woo and stone to use as a heat deflector. Does anyone have experience with this, anyone know if a tiny disposable drip pan will fit (woo comes today)? any help, advice, or experience is greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays fellow eggheads!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just put alum foil on stone and make and edge that sticks up a 1/4 inch to hold droppings. I will put a light layer of salt over the foild to hold droppings so they dont pool.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Having never cooked on a mini, I really have no idea how they cook, guys like Mickey know. Standing ribs, I've cooked "tons" of and prefer the edge to edge finish you get with cooking at 225-250. A 7# is maybe a two or three rib roast I'd think so if you have the headroom, it should work out just fine. Mickey's suggestion to roll salted foil is great because there will not be much dripping anyway and what little there is is absorbed and dispersed by the salt. Also, the "pan" edge is below the meat giving good air circulation. 
    Pull it at an internal of 115-120, rest it and sear to a finish of 125-130 for medium rare (to your taste) and to add a nice crust. We like our with only the lump smoke (typically RO) and a paste rub, rosemary/garlic/onion/salt/pepper and EVOO. 

Merry Christmas and good luck with the cook!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!