Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkery - Low and Slow

Options

Has anyone tried to smoke a spatchcock turkey low and slow (e.g. 225 degrees for 10 or more hours)? This past weekend I smoked a 14 lb. fresh turkey at 225 for 12 hours. Being an eggsperiment the cook was absent any "in progress" activities (i.e. basting, etc.). The turkey was washed, salt and peppered and placed in a 225 degree XL egg. Apple and Cherry wood chips were added just prior to the turkey. Egg was not opened for 11 hours.

Turkey turned out great. Presentation consisted of a rich golden/amber color. Smoke ring was present. Meat fell off the bone and was not as dry as I expected. Had a great taste.

Would like to know if a spatchcocked turkey would be more susceptible to drying out? Also, would basting and or brining mitigate the drying out?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Don't think so but why? I can do it in 90 mins and has all you are saying... Just asking why?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Turkey dries out if it's overcooked.  It's done when the internal temp reaches 160F in the breast, and when the dark meat reaches 180 F.  Brining with a 5% salt brine for around 30 hours, then letting it rest for at 4-24 hours (longer is better) to let the salt distribute evenly, will make it juicier (and more resistant to drying out if it is overcooked). 

By cooking spatchcock, you're effectively cooking not just the outside of the turkey through the skin, but also from the inside - both sides.  It cooks faster and more evenly. 

Cooking low and slow at 225F is going to cook just about anything fairly evenly, so there's probably no advantage in spatchcocking it that case other than it'll just cook faster.

Cook to temp - use a probe to monitor the temperature and you're almost guaranteed a juicy turkey by not overcooking it.