Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey done temperature

Options
I smoked a 12 lb turkey on Thanksgiving and it came out ok but when the breasts hit 160 the thighs were also 160 so I had to keep cooking.  So the breasts got a little over done.  I iced down the breasts for 30 mins before cooking but it did not seem to help.  I cooked indirect on grate at 325.  What else can I do to have the whole turkey done at the same time?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    About the only thing I can offer is the following-when you iced the breasts how soon after removing the bird from the fridge did that event take place...the idea here is to get a good temperature delta T between breasts and thighs.  If too soon after right out of the fridge, the thighs and breasts are still very close to ice temp (38 (Fridge)-32*F(ice)) so you won't get the cool-down needed to achieve the delta T throughout the cook.  I don't have a fixed time to wait before the ice treatment but 45 mins or so should work.  The other thing to use to your benefit-the back of the BGE is hotter than the front (air-flow given) so put the legs to the back.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I cook at 400 direct and don't have a problem. I never ice any part of the turkey.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.