Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble!!!

Options
I've had my turkey on since 6:30. The temp on the breast is at 165 but up in the thigh where I'm needing 180-185 it's only at 162. I don't want it to dry out. I've turned down the temp from 325 to 250 to slow it down. Any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Check it in a few more places to get an average. Orient it with the legs to the back of the egg. Tent the breast with foil if you are still getting tthose temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Another option when presentation (or showtime) doesn't matter-pull and tent the breasts and put the thighs/legs back on the BGE-part it out early.  Happy Thanksgiving!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Edreaux10
    Options
    Why would my temps over an hour ago be in the 165 range and now they are in the mid 140's. I did lower the Egg temp to 225 from 325 cause I was alarm about how fast it was cooking. Now I need to leave to in laws in n hour so I'm worried I need to raise temp back up. First turkey and it's stressful. Good thing is the cold beer in my hand... Should I raise temp back up?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most likely the bird is still "sweating." Staying cool but drying out. Baste it, run the temp up to maybe 375. If you are carrying it to the in-laws, ask them to fire up their oven to 325. Give the bird maybe another 1/2 hour, then wrap as well as possible. It will continue to cook. When at the in-laws, slice of the leg quarters and wings, pop into oven. Hopefully the dark meat will tenderize while the white meat is being sliced.

For next time. Never do something for the first time when serving anyone but yourself. Way too much chance of goofs.
  • Edreaux10
    Options
    Thank you. Will do.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I always the bird before dinner. Makes the assembly line move smoother...+1 in removing a few done parts.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm going with the Mad Max method.  He recommends icing down the breast at least for 20 minutes right before putting in the Egg.  That way the breast starts out much cooler than the legs and thighs.  When the cook is over, according to Mad Max, the thighs will be 180 and the breast will be 160. 
    Flint, Michigan