Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions on Sides, Knives, and Dives

Sides - why do some people seem to sincerely dislike Bush's Baked Beans?  I know that practiced homemade can almost always best canned anything, but they are good if you spruce them up.  (Kind of like SBR)  Most of the homemade baked beans I have had lately ONLY taste like molasses and do not have an appealing color.  I looked up some "good" recipes online and could not get good beans. I tried everything. Start from scratch, soak beans overnight, etc, etc.  Some help here would be appreciated.

Knives - Are the Miracle Blade Knives any good?  I saw a Google Offer for them.  I recently bought a knive sharpener that works on serrated blades supposedly too.  Just bought a Norpro Santoku from Amazon and its decent.

https://www.google.com/offers/home?utm_source=ppo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailyppo&utm_content=primary&ss=0#!details/db0a8a36771f7cd9/UJBEK56KMQI7BDV1

Dives - What is your experience with places on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives?  We have had mixed results.  I saw Guy in person once and he says you can tell if he really likes a place by when he uses his key phrases. Ex: money, on point, killer etc (rather than good)  The reason I ask is b/c I am going to Reno soon and would like to know what places to check out. 

Thank you fellow eggheads!!

Comments

• Good morning Z,

Re: Beans...I've done both.  To tell you the truth I really can't tell an appreciatable differnece in using canned beans vs soaking your own.  When using canned I do take them out of the can and rinse with water and add them to meat, onions, peppers and flavoring of my own.

Knives and Reno, I really can't help you there.

Have a good day!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I have a buddy that owns T-Bone Tom's in Kemah, Texas.  His place has been on Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives and I can tell you the food is great!  Doesn't help for Reno, but this is the only experience I have in a DDD dive.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    edited November 2012
    bush beans are disgusting, they are not even baked, they are pressure cooked. only baked bean i know is B&M that comes in a can. when you make your own the problem is the water, i can soak only at camp over night then bring to a boil and simmer an hour then make the beans, at home its a soak simmer with baking soda then rinse and make the beans. if a recipe has salt consider adding it later in the cook, salt seems to keep the beans from softening. if adding beans to something, get the plain beans and rinse as was suggested, dont buy baked beans to add to the pot. ive never had baked beans that i liked that wasnt made in a bean pot, they sell bean pots on line from the http://potshopofboston.com/BeanPots.htm the 2.5 quart size is the right size if your making a pound of dry beans.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Bush's aren't bad, just sort of "meh."

Starting from scratch can be a toss-up. The quality of the beans makes a lot of difference. Beans that were grown where it wasn't wet enough will never be tender.

If I have the time, I start from dry, because I can add just the flavors I want. If I'm in a rush, canned w. no flavor work fine, but tend to be a little mushier than i like.

I'm not a knife snob. I regularly use ones I've picked up in 2nd hand shops.  On the other hand, I'm saving for a $300 paring knife. My take on the Miracle Blades "never needs sharpening" is "not a chance."

Don't know about dives.
  • Any knife that claims never needs sharpening is being dishonest and insulting. It simply isn't true.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Bush Baked Beans are OK.  I'll eat them with stuff like hot dogs.

Knives:  I'm rather a snob.  High end stuff mostly.

Dives:  Look what cars are in the parking lot and how many.  Lots of pick up trucks?  The food is good and cheap.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious