Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air Leaks and Premature Gasket Failure

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been checking out YouTube videos featuring the BGE and I ran across the one linked below which I found interesting. I've read quite a bit on the forum about gasket failure, but watching that video was the first I'd heard about checking for air leaks in the adjustment of dome to egg fit. Of course, I'm very much an FNG and it's quite possible that I simply missed it but it made me wonder; has this topic been covered here before, and if so, is there maybe some way to compile a bunch of information helpful to those pondering or new to the BGE? Kind of a clearing house of the basics type of thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw47jHxIFLE

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Parallel, this has been covered here a number of times, the video you refer to is quite popular. The dollar bill test is demonstrated along with alignment and making sure the gasket does not overhang the interior of the egg. 

Too bad the info wasn't all in one place, but then we might have a lot less to talk about. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Before I joined this forum, I got my egg (LBGE) un-assembled in boxes and it came with some paper instructions and an odd shiny round plastic disk.  Not having a circle reader thing on my tablet, I googled egg assembly and saw that same exact video. 

I watched it and couldn't help feeling like Trinity from the Matrix downloading instructions on how to fly a Huey UH-1.  Like I do every time I tap you-tube for some instructional video.   0000101010101110000101010 (robot voice) "downloading programming for egg alignment...beep beep"..."downloaded"...proceed assembly process...

Then I got on the forum and, the one thing I took away from the video was brilliant - resistance to a dollar bill to check alignment of the hemispheres on the gasket.  The forum thought the same.  Great that you found it on your own and shame on us for not having it in a wiki or FAQ or "Basics" forum.