Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many folks here were foodies/cooks pre egg?

Comments

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Always liked to cook. Spent mucho dinero on a set of Scan Pans. And then a year later got the egg. As noted above, the egg and this forum is the first time I ever took trophy pictures. Yeah, I was a foodie before I got the egg.
    LBGE
  • Neat thread -- this is fun to read!

My grandma came to live with us when I was in High School.  I loved to watch her cook -- she never measured anything and I was always fascinated with her creativity.  I moved out on my own at 18 years old and have been "getting creative" ever since.

I used to grill on an old smokey joe until I went to a BBQ and saw a BGE for the first time.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • me
    Get to the point, John !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• My dad let my younger brother and I live at his 5 bedroom beach house while he lived in town. I was 17 bro was 16. He gave us one of his credit cards and we could buy whatever food and home stuff we wanted. There was no limit but we had to keep the receipts to give him at his bi monthly visits to make sure we didn't have any hookers living with us or burned the place down. We never burned the place down. We figured we may as well cook good food since it didn't matter. We had a decent gasser but we took it to the beach and got too drunk and left it. After that all we had was a small webber. I ruined many a lobster and steak. Since then I've always been the cook and have slowly improved.

It's so easy to hide hookers when you know when the "bi-weekly visit" is. child's play :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have never considered myself a foodie/cook.  Just a great way to play with fire and occasionally create fine food and always enjoy the spin-offs (egg watching with cold beverages, time out from the SWMBO scrutiney, platitudes from friends who enjoy the results and so on).  Just enjoy the journey :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I was searching for proteins in my mom's placenta to cook when I was in the womb.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Been cooking since I was a teenager, I lived with my Dad and he worked overseas. He would leave me money to eat out and do what I wanted. Being the smart kid I was I started teaching myself to cook to save the money to invest in my race car. My dad drove the car a few months later and noticed it was alot faster and asked what I did. I told him the truth and he said He shoud be mad at me but was pretty proud. Then he stopped giving me as much money.

I am on the same page as VI, I started with a little charcoal Weber flipping burgers on my apartment patio (Dont Tell the Fire Marshall). I thought I was pretty cool trying to impress my girlfriend/now wife. I used to bake my ribs wrapped in foil for 3 hours then throw them on the grill. It was a pretty good method.

A friend of mine years ago had shown me his egg and the what it did. I called BS and stayed with my trusty smoker (My Dad built it and I still have it). Last Christmas my wife brought home the egg and gave it to me. The rest is history, Ive had it almost a year and cant imagine cooking with out it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    My BBQ evolution has been the center of my cooking life. When my wife and me bought our first house in 1982 I went out and bought my first grill in short order. It was a Meco charcoal cooker that looked like a square squat Weber Kettle. When I bought our first propane grill a few years later I actually thought I was moving up. Shortly after moving into our current house in 2004 I went out and bought a Jenn Air natural gas grill for about $900. Big disappointment. Somewhere around 2006 I was working in the Crenshaw area of LA. I stopped into a BBQ place that was in a previous Taco Bell building. It was a family run business and there were a number of ugly cookers in the back. Those ugly cookers produced the best back ribs I ever had up to that point. From that moment I was on a quest to make the perfect rib. I was back to cooking on charcoal for the first time in 20 years. When I had to move my dad out of his house a few years back I took his old Weber Kettle to the Goodwill. It was rejected and then spent a couple of years at the side of my house. Taking it "out of mothballs" I'd gotten pretty good at making ribs on it. I was still on the quest for the best cooker. Got a Brinkman  water smoker that was o-k. But the BGE kept calling to me when I did my regular stops to BBQ Galore. I always justified not getting it due to the price. During a visit to the store around May of this year my wife saw me looking at the BGE. To my astonishment she said "why don't you get it?" (She's a keeper). Of course, that was all I needed. I'm now in BBQ nirvana having spent the summer of 2012 producing the best I've ever done. While there were a few glitches along the way, that stop at the BBQ place in 2006 was what ultimately led me to the BGE. To answer your main question Little Steven, I'd have to say my quest for better Q has led me to be a foodie in other cooking methods as well. I now do all the cooking in our household and love doing it, especially the BBQ on the Egg.       
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    neat thread LS, must read all when I have time. 

never cooked until four years when my better half bought me a BGE for father's day, ya right, I still say it was a conspiracy to con me into cooking!

canuckland
  • My mom was a poor cook.  I didn't know what a real steak was until the Army.  I've had gassers, kettles, smokers,offset and a long open grill but never really got "into" it.  The BGE changed EVERYTHING!  Wife has always been the foodie and now every day is menu planning.  She does inside, I do outside.  If she does main course, I wok the veggies.  It has taken over my life.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012

My mom was a poor cook.  I didn't know what a real steak was until the Army. 

LOL.  Mine too.  When I left home, I called my mom and asked her for her spaghetti recipe - the only spaghetti I knew.  It was canned Chef Boyardee spaghetti.  She did add hamburger though.

When I came home from basic training in the Army, I told her how great the food was.  I hurt her feelings.  I regret that now that she's gone.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    me
    There you go. A perfectly good thread and you have to get in there with your Tom foolery. I hope you are ashamed

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2012
    me
    There you go. A perfectly good thread and you have to get in there with your Tom foolery. I hope you are ashamed

I believe tomfoolery is a word, not a person (Tom Foolery)
  • Little Steven
    Well you are a master of the English language so I will succumb to your assertion

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well you are a master of the English language so I will succumb to your assertion
    When we were in Italy ( 2 weeks ago), we spent time with quite a few Brits on a "holiday" there.  I remember asking a few ..."when are you people going to learn to speak proper English?".  For some reason, they were quite amused at that question.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    As someone who is half Scot and half Welsh I will respectfully decline to comment

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well you are a master of the English language so I will succumb to your assertion

I would have actually gone with chicanery over tomfoolery, but my linguistics are certainly not as colourful as yours.

• Little Steven
    You people and your superfluous 'U's. There are a lot of ways to simplify the language

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You people and your superfluous 'U's. There are a lot of ways to simplify the language

I realise the additional U's add a bit of flavour to our language but its just the way we roll.

• There are a lot of u's in "superfluous" we'll played.
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2012
    OK, I quit. Your euchre rules suck in Wisconsin

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OK, I quit. Your euchre rules suck in Wisconsin

I have to google this. I'll get back to you.
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2012
    Think I spelled it wrong and I may have been talking about Minnesota. Never mind

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Think I spelled it wrong and I may have been talking about Minnesota. Never mind
    Have another vodka, LS, or whatever it is you eskimos drink.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Think I spelled it wrong and I may have been talking about Minnesota. Never mind

Have another vodka, LS, or whatever it is you eskimos drink.

In the spirit of international unity, I will also have another vodka. Excellent idea Gary!
  • Little Steven

Gary,

I apologise for wasting your and the forum's time. This guy just gets right on my t!ts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gary,

I apologise for wasting your and the forum's time. This guy just gets right on my t!ts

Must be Stike.  I know the feeling, Keemosabi.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I don't get right on them. I am a gentleman if nothing else.
  • Little Steven
    Just what I expected. Lowest common denominator :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON