Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foiled my butts for 12 hours

Options
BGElovr
BGElovr Posts: 83
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I’ve done it twice now, but didn’t post about it the first time. I started two 7.5lb Boston Butts at 6:30pm on Thursday for a Friday evening high school tailgating party for 20 or so. Pulled the butts at 6:30 on Friday morning when the Maverick told me the meat had hit 210. I removed them and wrapped each in heavy duty aluminum foil, then wrapped those in heavy beach towels and placed in a large Omaha Steaks Styrofoam cooler that I had saved for the occasion.  When we set up the event on Friday evening, I used my digital thermometer to test the temp of the pork and it was still at 120 degrees at 6:00pm. I pulled with the use of latex gloves as they were still too hot to shred with a fork and bare hands and placed in a serving pan.  I received nothing but compliments on the BBQ from everyone.  It was so moist and tender.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I guess I may get some negative comments here for holding the pork so long before serving, so fire away.  Maybe I have overlooked some reason that I should not have foiled so long, but I think serving at 110- 120 degrees is fine.