Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question??

Options
92Egghead
92Egghead Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Brisket has been on the egg since last night at midnight. Internal temp is 192 in the flat and 158 in the point. Do I pull based on flat temp or point temp? This brisket is really thick in the point.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    that makes no sense to me at all. The point is normally done well before the flat because of the higher fat contecnt in the point (fat cooks way faster than muscle). Are you certain you are not measuring in the thick part of the flat? At what temp are you cooking?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 92Egghead
    Options
    I cooked it upside down (fat side up) over a rib rack so the bow would compensate for the brisket length fitting in the egg. Clearly it's not ready because probe meets a good bit of resistance. I will reprobe flat to see if I get a different temp than the one from the probe that was left in meat all night.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    your internal probe may also be too close to the rack or not all the way in the middle giving you a higher reading. No way it's ready.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Listen to Cen-Tex about brisket and associated other adventures.  Seriously-something is wrong with the data-as noted the point (regardless of orientation should get up to around 210*F (+/-) before the flat (the finish indicator) is ready to play.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 92Egghead
    Options
    You are correct Sir. Took another reading and got 168 on the flat. Maybe be few hours and I'm happy about that. Thanks for the help!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no worries. you very well may in the stall so you may have many hours left.