Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump cleanout

Options
bjadams
bjadams Posts: 28
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've had my LBGE for two months now and have cooked extensively with it. In that time I've done foods from Fish to Brisket, peach cobbler to pizza and everything has been first class with the exception of pizza which I'm working on but is mostly lacking due to operator error.

One thing I noticed is that during the last pizza attempt I was not able to get the egg temp up high enough and it sort of maxed out at 400. I decided this was due to the build up of ash and smaller lump blocking air circulation so I let the lump burn down for the first time and emptied my fire box and ash area. I'm guessing this has to be done every once in awhile. It was interesting but as my lump aged and I kept adding new, I think holding low temperatures seemed easier but getting her really hot was not in the cards. Any more experienced eggers want to share some insight?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It depends a little on the brand of lump used, but in general, I fond that i need to remove all ash and small unburnt bits every 3 cooks, in order to have an airflow that gives and expected temperature.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I clean mine out (Firebox) only once a year. Other than that I only scrap the ashes approximately every 3 cooks on average. I just open the bag of lump and dump and cook. No problem with getting hot 1250 plus if I let it rip or as low as I need. Temps stay consistent. Eggs are low maintenance and need very little cleaning.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I clean out the firebox before doing a low and slow.  Otherwise, just stir and add new.  Clean out the ashes every few cooks. +1 with @chrisnjenn on dump and go for everyday cooks.  For a long cook, I place 4 or 5 fist size chunks of lump on the bottom then just fill er up.
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I echo the sentiments of ensuring you have good ventilation through the grate.  You didn't mention the lower vent or daisy wheel.  Open up the lower vent making sure the screen is not in use.  Open the DW wide open and you should be at 500+ with no problem.  Take the DW off completely at the beginning to get the egg up to heat quickly. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd probably clean out my ash every 2 or 3 cooks (unless it's a long low n slo or pizza, then 1 cook).  The Hi-Q grate makes it tougher for the ash and small charcoal to block the air flow.  Lets me go insanely hot if I need it. And it's much easier to knock the ash down with the hi-q grate than the factory CI grate with holes.